The human race is famous for its unstoppable ambition to break any record one could think about. Most worthy of all records are of course the sport-related ones, mounting such a record is considered an achievement for all humankind.
These are the sports records that no one had managed to break for more than 20 years:
- High jump – 8 ft 0.4 in (1993) by Javier Sotomayor (Cuba)
- Discus throw – 243.0 ft (1986) by Jürgen Schult (East Germany)
- Long jump – 29 ft 4.25 in (1991) by Mike Powell (United States)
- Triple jump – 60 ft 0.25 in (1995) by Jonathan Edwards (United Kingdom)
- Hammer throw – 284 ft 6.75 in (1986) by Yuriy Sedykh (Soviet Union)
- 400 m – 43.18 s (1999) by Michael Johnson (United States)
- Shot put – 75 ft 10.5 in (1990) by Randy Barnes (United States)
- Javelin – 323 ft 1 in (1996) by Jan Zelezny (Czech Republic)
- Middle-distance running (1999) Hicham El Guerrouj (Morocco)
- The 400-meter hurdles in 46.78 s (1992) by Kevin Young (United States)
So, are you game to break one of the above?